Custodial Maintenance Position
Custodial Maintenance Position
Area:…………………Recreation Facilities Maintenance
Salary Schedule:…..Non-Exempt; Part-Time, $10.00 - $12.00, DOE;DOQ
Last Update:………..January 2021
Click here to apply
Under the supervision of the Grounds and Facility Director, the Custodian Maintenance position is a part-time, non-exempt position under FLSA, responsible for custodial maintenance of the TRC Arthur C. Waugh Community Center facilities. The Custodian is responsible for maintaining the overall cleanliness of the facility and immediate grounds and set-up for activities. The Custodian must be able to prioritize work and make changes as needed on a daily basis without the Grounds and Facility Director's presence. This position is classified as having occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens. This employee must possess knowledge of general custodial duties and responsibilities and equipment used in these applications. This employee’s work schedule traditionally occurs on weekdays between 5:30 PM and 8:30 PM. Also may require some weekends and other days and times as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Properly maintain and clean floors
- Dump garbage and reline cans with liners
- Clean and sanitize restrooms and replenish supplies including dispensers; clean spills; mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, etc.
- Detail clean windows, walls, metal, and woodwork
- Dust and/or polish furniture, window ledges, banisters, ceilings, bleachers, light fixtures, etc.
- Maintain clean drinking fountains and the kitchen in a sanitary manner
- Remove litter and waste paper from inside the building and on the grounds surrounding the building including landscaping material
- Set up and take down chairs, tables, and other miscellaneous equipment for daily activities
- Carry equipment, tables, and chairs up and down multiple building levels
- Utilize safety measures and assist in the overall safety at all times inside the building and on the grounds
- Request for order and stock supplies and equipment as needed
- Sweep, vacuum, mop, polish, and buff floors, etc.
- Ability to perform a variety of routine cleaning tasks of a multi-level building
- Notify the Grounds and Facility Director immediately of any safety hazards or repairs required of facility, equipment, and grounds
- Maintain and complete daily cleaning and maintenance logs
- Ability to proactively establish lines of communication internally and among all levels of organization constituents, from executive to front-line levels, and a similar variety of external constituencies
- Obey and comply with all TRC, State, and Local ordinances and policies
- Ability to carry equipment up and downstairs and climb ladders up to 20 feet and to change light bulbs and clean windows at heights up to 25 feet
- Ability to report to work as scheduled and notify the Grounds and Facility Director a minimum of 60 minutes in advance in case of an emergency or sickness and 48 hours in advance otherwise
- Assist in resolving concerns and complaints from the general public
- Must be able to distinguish between different cleaning materials
- Maintain reliable transportation for work commute purposes
- Perform minor maintenance projects
- Operate custodial equipment for floor extracting, polishing, and cleaning
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned
Experience: A minimum of one-year of custodial experience is preferred. Must be at least 18 years of age.
Education: A high school diploma or G.E.D. is preferred.
License/ Certification: Employee must have a valid driver’s license. Must maintain automobile liability insurance on vehicle used to perform job duties for TRC of at least $100,000 single limit or such other amount as TRC policies may require in the future. CPR, First Aid, AED certification, bloodborne pathogen training, and Hepatitis vaccinations or the ability to obtain these before camp begins.
Technical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Demonstrates an understanding of custodial and janitorial best practices; and demonstrates the ability to apply this understanding to identifying and addressing the full range of issues associated with the work. Demonstrates an ability to prioritize one's own work and demonstrates an ability to define, measure, and evaluate results. Some knowledge and/or the ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions are essential. Possess the knowledge and ability to use hand tools, such as hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, and various other carpentry tools. Employee knowledge of and the ability to operate custodial equipment such as buffers, carpet cleaners/extractors, power washers, scrubbers, mops, brooms, vacuums, and various other custodial equipment. Employee must be able to distinguish between different cleaning materials. The ability to plan and coordinate tasks, understand and anticipate problems, interpret written instructions, reports, maps, manuals and schematics is essential. Employee must have the ability to concentrate and accomplish tasks despite interruptions, perform a variety of tasks simultaneously or in rapid succession, and perform job responsibilities in a timely manner in order to meet scheduled deadlines. This employee must possess physical and mental abilities to work independently, follow oral and written instructions, and possess average written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills. This employee must be able to operate a computer, calculator, and copier.
Problem Solving: Independent problem solving is limited. This employee encounters problems with facility equipment failure and equipment malfunctions. Demonstrates an ability to resolve work-related issues.
Decision Making: Independent decision making is limited. This employee makes decisions about maintenance procedures, performing daily duties in the most efficient manner, and correcting safety hazards. This employee must have the ability to use good professional judgment, honesty, and integrity in decision making as well as make immediate pressure related decisions.
Supervision: This employee is subject to supervision from the Grounds and Facility Director and overall supervision from the Executive Director and must possess the ability to carry out duties with a minimum of daily supervision.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for custodial equipment and supplies, and has no purchasing authority.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers, and moderate contact with supervisory personnel.
Core Values: This employee is expected to be honest, fair in his/her dealing with the public and co-workers, and maintain a reputation that is above reproach. This employee is expected to attend work regularly and be punctual, present a work setting professional appearance and behave professionally, maintain confidentiality of records and departmental information, and foster positive working relationships and accept new responsibilities. This employee must have a strong emphasis on effective and efficient custodial maintenance skills.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather and temperature extremes including slippery surfaces. The employee uses cleaning equipment including mops, brooms, buffing machines, vacuum cleaners and various other kinds of janitorial equipment. The employee works both inside the facility and outdoors on the immediate grounds. The employee is exposed to dirt, dust, grease, loud noises, cleaning chemicals, foul odors, vibration, fumes, heights, work safety hazards, occasional overtime/extended work hours, darkness, cramped spaces, bodily fluids and bloodborne pathogens. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, balance, bend; use overhead activity; hand gripping; fine motor control; twisting; climb (heights greater than 20 feet); stoop; squat; kneel; crouch; and crawl. The employee is required to use dexterity of hands and fingers to finger, handle or feel. The employee must possess the ability to talk, hear, smell, maintain physical balance and physical control, coordination including eye/hand, hand/foot, and have a high level of endurance. The employee must be able to access all work sites required for the position. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to and in excess of 50 pounds and possess above average physical mobility, strength, and agility. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The ability to perform first aid and lifesaving skills and equipment to staff and patrons is required. The position requires a high level of physical, emotional, and mental energy. The employee is subject to pre-employment physical examination with a written statement from the physician as to the employee’s ability to meet the requirements of the position and also subject to drug and alcohol testing.
Duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The State of Kansas and Turner Recreation Commission are at-will employment jurisdictions.
Click here to apply