Area: ................... …..Recreation
Position: .............. …..RN-03
Salary Schedule:…...$11.00 - $13.00/hour
Last Update: ........ …..March 2021
Under direct supervision of the Event Director, the Building Attendant is a non-exempt position under FLSA, responsible for ensuring that TRC participants, staff, and members are the only individuals utilizing the Turner Recreation Commission Community Center facilities. This employee should provide a warm and inviting atmosphere for those individuals entering the facility and must possess excellent supervisory, organizational, verbal and written communication, and public relations skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicate effectively with TRC staff and personnel
- Assist all TRC instructors, programs, and classes occurring in and outside the facility grounds.
- Assist in resolving concerns and complaints from instructors, participants or the general public.
- Supervise the facility during rentals and programs within regular working hours
- Anticipate potential risks of injury, take measures to avoid and diffuse them, and in the event of injury or concern, call appropriate personal.
- Be visible to all users of the facility.
- Provide courteous service to all participants, parents, instructors, and visitors that enter the facility.
- Open, close, and secure facility including a walk-through of all rooms within the facility as directed by supervisor.
- Effectively and courteously communicate with the public, officials, instructors and employees of TRC, some of whom may be irate or unreasonable; orally and in writing.
- Routinely act as a resource for inquiries regarding activities, special events, senior programs, and summer camp programs with responses provided in a timely manner.
- Assist patrons with registration inquiries
- Implement and ensure recording of patron’s temperature checks, as directed by supervisor
- Provide users with any information desired about the facility
- Assist custodial staff with sanitization of facility and general maintenance as directed by supervisor
- This can include but is not limited to:
- Fitness Center sanitization
- Sanitization of high touch areas
- Clean up of accidental spills and other incidents
- Assist in troubleshooting of fitness center membership key cards & door system
- This can include but is not limited to:
- Be alert and greet all participants, parents, instructors, staff, and visitors entering the facility with a hello and a smile
- Maintain a variety of records (e.g. accident and incident reports, checklists, maintenance work orders, etc.) and submit these to your direct supervisor.
- Perform a quick inventory before and at the end of each recreation activity.
- Proper phone etiquette, written and verbal communication
- Perform general maintenance/custodial functions
- Ensure that all lights are turned off, doors locked, and alarm set before leaving the building.
- Be aware of severe weather and follow safety procedures during severe weather conditions
- Obey and comply with all TRC ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Assist patrons with general knowledge of point of sales system
- Provide available program information such as flyer or program packet
- Assist other departments and perform other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Experience: 1-3 years in a supervision role is preferred.
Education: A high school diploma or a GED is required.
License/Certification: Employee must have a valid driver’s license. CPR, First Aid, and AED certification required or the ability to possess this certification in a timely manner.
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of and application of recreation equipment set up/take down procedures and its proper storage. Ability to understand and anticipate problems, to enforce department policies and procedures, to supervise and to interpret written instructions, reports, and manuals. The ability to establish successful relationships with co-workers, TRC staff, TUSD 202 officials, the public, and use good professional judgment, honesty, and integrity in decision making. This employee must possess excellent public relations, supervisory, organizational, and verbal communication skills.
Problem Solving: Some independent problem solving is involved. This employee encounters problems with citizen complaints and incidents.
Decision Making: Some independent decision making is involved. This employee makes decisions about resolving citizen complaints and correcting citizen issues, and performing building supervision duties in the most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee is subject to direct supervision by the Event Director and overall supervision by the Executive Director and has some supervisory responsibilities over the TRC facility and instructors.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for department equipment.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers, and supervisory personnel.
Core Values: This employee is expected to be honest, fair in his/her dealing with the public and co-workers, and maintain a reputation that is above reproach. The employee must have a strong emphasis on customer service and good supervision skills.
Working Conditions: Some adverse working conditions exist within this position when patrolling the outside facility grounds including inclement weather.
Physical Requirements: Indoor and outdoor setting. The position requires manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, some bending, stooping, and the ability to operate department equipment. A high level of physical, emotional, and mental energy. The employee is subject to pre-employment physical examination with a written statement from the physician as to the employee’s ability to meet the requirements of the position and also subject to drug and alcohol testing.
Duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The State of Kansas and Turner Recreation Commission are at-will employment jurisdictions.
All applicants must apply through our posting on Indeed found here. (https://www.indeed.com/job/building-supervisor-4e2d69a10e20725d)
Questions? Contact Specialty Recreation Director, Stephanie Franke, at frankes@TurnerUSD202.org